- Locate your pets and keep them nearby. Have pet carriers, pet food and water ready.
- Prepare large animals for transport and be ready to move them to a safe location.
Returning home after a wildfire:
- Be alert for downed power lines and other hazards.
What to do if you become trapped: In your vehicle:
- Stay calm
- Park your vehicle in an area clear of vegetation
- Close all windows and vents
- Cover yourself with a wool or cotton blanket or jacket
- Lie on the vehicle floor
- Use your cell phone to call 911
While on Foot:
- Stay calm.
- Go to an area that is clear of vegetation, a ditch or depression on level ground if possible.
- Lie face down and cover up your body.
- Use your cell phone to call 911.
While in your home:
- Stay calm and keep your family together
- Call 911 and inform authorities of your location
- Fill sinks and tubs with cold water
- Keep doors and windows closed but unlocked
- Stay inside your house
- Stay away from outside walls and windows
Getting information during an emergency:
If you have internet access you may be able to get information from your friends via email or social media.